Cross Border Financial Planning
Whether you're retiring to Canada from the US or already living in Canada, a cross-border financial advisor can help minimize your tax burden and optimize your financial plan.
When planning a move from the US to Canada, you must take into account the many financial changes that will occur. You may be aware of the tax issue you’ll be facing when you change your tax residence by moving across the border, but are you aware of the investment issues?
Your US advisor cannot manage your account once you are in Canada, and your Canadian advisor cannot manage your account once you are in the US. The only exception to this is if you’re working with a cross-border advisor who is dual-licensed.
Moreover, if you close out your retirement account, you’ll suddenly owe tax that you weren’t planning for. Most financial advisors do not specialize in cross-border financial planning. This can mean that while your advisor may have the best of intentions, if they don’t understand every aspect of cross-border financial planning you won’t have a plan that optimizes your investments and minimizes your tax burden.
Your goal with cross-border financial planning should be to ensure that you can retire happy no matter where you live.
Work with Qualified Cross-Border Financial Advisors
The solution is to work with an advisory team licensed in Canada and the US. Whether you have permanent or temporary residence in Canada or the US, we can help and manage your accounts in either country.
At SWAN, we have a team of experts who can help you avoid the common pitfalls a cross border person has. We work closely with a network of cross border accountants and lawyers who can help make the transition smoother.
We work with Canadians living in the US who plan to retire or move back to Canada. We also work with Americans moving to Canada and those already living in Canada. We help you make your financial planning cross-border optimized so even if you move back to the US, you’re covered. Finally, we also work with families who have received a cross-border inheritance.
If you need help rolling over assets from a 401 (k) to an IRA or managing your finances so you don’t have a sudden taxable event, we can help.
At SWAN Wealth Management we help in the following ways:
- Manage your IRA and retirement accounts from Canada or the US
- Offer a pre-immigration consultation from a tax perspective before you move
- Guidance on retirement benefits such as CPP, social security and Medicare
- Transfer your investments from the US to Canada keeping them in a tax deferred account
- As a portfolio manager we are not limited to just investing in mutual funds but can choose holdings tailored to your individual needs
- Hold investments in US and/or Canadian currency on both sides of the border
- Minimize your tax burden by creating a tailored financial plan
- Manage your investments over the long-term so you can retire happy
- Provide access and management to your investments no matter on which side of the border you live
- Understand the tax implications of various investment strategies
- Create a financial plan that serves you in the short- and long-term
- Act in accordance with our fiduciary duties to ensure every aspect of your financial plan is in your best interest
To get started simplifying your cross-border finances and investments, schedule a call below.
Ready to Simplify Your Cross-Border Finances?
At SWAN Wealth Management we know that you want to be free to enjoy your life in Canada.
In order to do that you need a cross-border financial plan that’s tailored to your needs. Your US advisor can’t help you move or manage your investments in Canada, and you might be worried that you’re going to miss something during this transition.
We believe that moving your assets to Canada should be simple and easy. We understand how complex this process can appear — especially since it’s difficult to find clear information online.
That’s why we specialize in helping cross-border clients like yourself. With over 25 years of experience as Certified Financial Planners and Portfolio Managers, we ensure your cross-border financial plan fits your needs and protects your assets.
Here’s how the process works:
- Schedule a 15-minute introductory call.
- Meet with a Financial Advisor.
- We create a cross-border plan.
- Together, we start the process.
To get started, schedule a 15-minute introductory call.
In the meantime, here’s our Cross-Border Moving Checklist, so you’ll be able to stop worrying about whether you’re missing something and instead relax and enjoy your next adventure.